So after much prayer, looking at different countries, pros, cons, husbands doubt, personal fear all a multitide of other emotions, our homestudy is done and it is for Liberia. It is all done...wow. Our visits had been finished in Feb, but then came the reference letters. They took FOREVER. People lost them, the mail lost them, people were busy and put it off..bla bla bla. While it took my awesome social worker a week to get all three visits done, it took my family and friends 2+ months to answer 5 questions on a separate sheet of paper. I guess this is typical.
So we decided on Liberia. Liberia has an imense need for adoptive parents. And yes adopting from "anywhere" is following the Lord's example, Liberia to me had a greater need. The children faced much more adversity than in some countires. They have limited access to decent health care. God put Liberia in our hearts, especially mine early on. Whenever I would look into other countries I felt unsettled. Once we finalized Liberia I felt much better.
I have been asked by many people why we want a special needs child. People have told me that adopting "any" child is a kind thing, why make it harder on yourself. For one I do not see my self as a hero. I will be lucky, blessed to parent this child. And God has given me a heart for children with special needs. We never even considering a "typical", "normal"( by thrid world standards) child. I cannot explain why we want a special needs child. God does not always explain his plans for your life to you, you just have to trust him. And this is what he wants for us, I am so sure of this. So we are open to CP and mild mental retardation, orthopedic issues, malnourishment, missing limbs, and all sorts of other conditions. I feel at peace about this. I feel totally right about this.
So here we go, really starting this journey now. We cannot wait untill the Lord reveals our child. We are waiting to see. Praying for guidance, knowing that we will be led by him when it is HIS time.
Monday, May 21, 2007
Adopting a child with special needs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment