Monday, July 2, 2007

Not what I thought............

My husband and I have wanted to adopt for a long time. It has always been a positive thing for us. Obviously there are some worries with adoption. How will the child adjust?, Will our other children be ok?, How drastic will this life change be? There are many more "What ifs". But overall I feel like what we are doing is awesome and I feel lucky to be doing it. What I was not prepared for was how negative many people are towards adoption. I have gotten emails from random strangers telling me that what we are doing is crazy and will bring us nothing but grief. I got an email from a Pastor saying that he did not feel the Holy Spirit and would not pray for us and that our daughter issues would run the course of her life and cause us nothing but grief. I have gotten emails asking why we are not adopting from the United States and on and on. Luckily for me my Church has been very supportive. If it were not for them I would be going crazy. I just want to bring my daughter home and get her well....how is this a bad thing? Why is an American child worth more than my African daughter? I am just going to continue to ignore the ignorant and listen to who matters, the Lord. He is the only one who's opinion matters to me. And I know he loves me and believes in what we are doing. I know all these bumps and bruises will jut bring me closer to him, grow a deeper trust. So when I am down, angry and scared I give everything over to the Lord. Thank you Jesus for loving me and seeing my heart is for this child.

5 comments:

"The Transplanted Yankee" said...

Hunny...that's all you can do. We'll definitely be praying for strength as you go through all of this, because we know that no matter where the kids come from, adoption is a calling, and God has placed that calling on you and Alan. We love you guys - if there's anything we can do, let us know!!

Brandi said...

Oh my, how are these people getting your email address? I don't understand!!! Remember, as you are, that the Lord is the one who CREATED adoption. He uses it to gather his own children to himself and he commanded us to do the same. You are simply following in your Daddy's footsteps!

Love you!

Welcome to Jen said...

Thank you Lynn and Brandi. I really appreciate the support! I believe there is a link on the website I created to contact me via email with any questions etc. I have been very suprised that people have emailed me to be negative. I continue to move forward, but to be honest getting one of those emails really hurts. I try not to think to much about why people are the way they are. I also hurt for these same people because I wonder if they know Jesus? If they did would they have such negative opinions? I do not think so. I will pray for them and move on. Again thank you guys so much!

Luv ya,

JN

Unknown said...

I have never heard of something so ridiculous as to say that someone form America needs a home with a loving mother and father more than that little girl. I am so sorry that people have been saying things like that to you. I have always felt called to adopt, but have not felt the time was right. Maybe one day... Dave thinks after school is over and done with... Anyway... Don't listen to them... Some people are ignorant and some are just mean. We will be praying for all of you.

Welcome to Jen said...

Thank you Rachel! I think with adoption, you will know when the time is right. We have always wanted to adopt, but all of a sudden we felt very led to do it now, and to adopt this child. We may not think the timing is exactly right, but it is all in God's timing that matters. Thank you for the prayers!

JN :)